Pour about an inch of apple cider vinegar into your cup or class. Cut off one of the corners of your plastic bag to create a hole for fruit flies to move through (keep in mind that you want it to be large enough for them to fit into, but small enough to prevent them from escaping afterwards).
How do I protect my apples from fruit flies?
How to preserve your apples from fruit flies:
- Look for firm, crisp, well-colored fruit, the color depending upon the variety.
- Avoid apples that have brown spots or any fruit shriveled or soft.
- Wash the apples so they are ready to eat and to remove any fruit fly attractants.
- Apples keep well in the refrigerator.
What will kill flies instantly?
They may be sprayed in areas where gnats are commonly seen, such as around plants and in bathrooms. Homemade fly killer spray: A mixture of half a cup of water, half a cup of isopropyl alcohol, and a teaspoon of dish liquid can be filled in a spray bottle. This mixture can be sprayed on the flies directly to kill them.
What smell will keep flies away?
Lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint and lemongrass essential oils – Not only will spraying these oils around the house create a beautiful aroma, but they will also deter those pesky flies too. Apple cider vinegar – Flies love the smell of apples and vinegar.
What do fruit flies hate?
Fruit flies can’t stand the smell of basil, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemongrass, lavender and clove. If you’ve had a fruit fly problem in the past, try placing these fragrant herbs in muslin sacks or tea bags and hanging them around the house. You could also buy them in essential oil form and use them in a diffuser.
How do you get rid of fruit flies once and for all?
Follow these 5 simple steps to rid your home of fruit flies, once and for all.
- Wipe down surfaces that are potential breeding grounds. Wipe down all cabinet surfaces thoroughly. …
- Clean the drains in your kitchen. …
- Set traps. …
- Monitor traps and drains. …
- Keep the drains clean and set traps.