Fruit flies lay their eggs near the surface of fermenting foods or other moist, organic materials. Upon emerging, the tiny larvae continue to feed near the surface of the fermenting mass.
How do you find a fruit fly nest?
Eggs are laid near or on top of attractants (fermenting materials) such as beverages, decaying fruit and vegetable matter, garbage or slime in drains. The fruit fly is attracted to an area where moisture has accumulated including mops and wet rags.
Where do fruit flies hide at night?
Some favourite places are on the undersides of leaves, twigs, and branches, or even in tall grass or under rocks. They need a comfortable place to sleep that will shelter them from the cold, rain and wind. Flies need good grip because they often sleep upside down.
What do fruit flies hate?
Fruit flies can’t stand the smell of basil, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemongrass, lavender and clove. If you’ve had a fruit fly problem in the past, try placing these fragrant herbs in muslin sacks or tea bags and hanging them around the house. You could also buy them in essential oil form and use them in a diffuser.
How do you get rid of fruit flies once and for all?
Follow these 5 simple steps to rid your home of fruit flies, once and for all.
- Wipe down surfaces that are potential breeding grounds. Wipe down all cabinet surfaces thoroughly. …
- Clean the drains in your kitchen. …
- Set traps. …
- Monitor traps and drains. …
- Keep the drains clean and set traps.
How do you get rid of a fruit fly infestation?
Preventing fruit fly infestations
- Keep food storage areas clean and dry.
- Throw out overripe fruit and produce.
- Rinse out soda, beer, and wine bottles and cans.
- Immediately rinse and dry mop heads.
- Keep recycling bins securely sealed.
- Clean spills and messes right away.
- Routinely clean sink drains.