pest Add to list Share. A pest is something or someone that bugs you. That annoying mosquito that keeps you up at night is a pest, and so is that younger brother who wants to control the TV remote. An unwanted, bothersome person is a pest — and so is an unwanted, bothersome bug.
What makes a person a pest?
A pest can generally be defined as any animal, plant, or other organism whose biology, behavior, or location places it in direct conflict with humans. Because some insects threaten human health, destroy food, damage structures or landscapes, or cause general annoyance or anxiety, they are considered pests.
What does right pest mean?
an annoying or troublesome person, animal, or thing; nuisance. an insect or other small animal that harms or destroys garden plants, trees, etc. a deadly epidemic disease, especially a plague; pestilence.
What is pest and examples?
A pest is any organism that spreads disease, causes destruction or is otherwise a nuisance. Some examples of pests are mosquitoes, rodents, and weeds. … Examples of beneficial insects are dragonflies (which feed mainly on mosquitoes) and lady beetles (which eat aphids, scale insects, mites, and other insects).
What are 3 categories of pest?
Seasonal pests: Occurring during a particular part of the year.
- Insect: These are important and major pests.
- Mites: These are creatures like insect but have soft body and four pairs of legs.
- Rodents – This group of pest eat away large amount of human food and also damage the crops on large scale.
What are the 3 methods of pest control?
Now, let’s see how these pest control methods are used.
- Physical methods of pest control. This is one of the natural methods of pest control; it is a non-chemical pest control method. …
- Chemical methods of pest control. …
- Cultural methods of pest control. …
- Biological methods of pest control.
Can a person be a pest?
A pest is something or someone that bugs you. … An unwanted, bothersome person is a pest — and so is an unwanted, bothersome bug. In fact, the “destructive or harmful insect” definition came before “annoying person,” following the “plague or pestilence” meaning of pest.
What is difference between insect and pest?
Pest vs. Insect. A pest is an animal or plant which has a harmful effect on humans their food or their living conditions while insects are arthropods that may or may not harm. … Pests are always harmful to humans and their food, but in the case of insects, some insects are dangerous, but some are beneficial to humans.
What are the two types of pest?
Types of Pests
- Ants, Bees and Wasps. Wasps, bees and ants (collectively known as hymenopterods) are one of the largest orders of insects. …
- Bed Bugs. Bedbugs are small, elusive, and parasitic organisms all belonging to a family of insects called Cimicidae. …
- Cockroaches. …
- Fleas. …
- Flies. …
- Myriapods. …
- Pigeons. …
What are the four things required to make a pest?
- Water – its importance and source.
- W ater contamination and disease.
- Community water supplies.
- W ater supply contaminants and disinfection.
- Contaminated water supplies.
- Treating contaminated water.
- Water supply plumbing.