If you don’t have any vinegar on hand, you can also trap fruit flies by placing a piece of overripe fruit in an open plastic bag. Just wait for the fruit flies to congregate on the fruit. Then, carefully seal the bag, trapping them inside.
How do I get rid of fruit flies in my house without apple cider vinegar?
Simmer a glass of milk on the stove, along with a quarter-cup of ground pepper and a cup of sugar. Pour the mixture into a bowl and place it on the counter. The little buggers are drawn to the sugar fermentation.
What is the fastest way to get rid of fruit flies?
How do you get rid of fruit flies?
- Clean all surfaces. …
- Throw out too-ripe or rotting produce. …
- Use apple cider vinegar. …
- Mix apple cider vinegar and dish soap. …
- Try beer or wine. …
- Try a chemical fruit-fly spray.
Can I use regular vinegar to get rid of fruit flies?
Get Rid of Fruit Flies
1. Pour boiling white vinegar or boiling water into drains. This is a simple way to get rid of fruit flies immediately. Many fruit flies make themselves at home in moist and hidden areas, such as shower drains, sink drains, garbage disposals, toilets, and more.
Does lemon get rid of fruit flies?
The All-Natural Way to Get Rid of Fruit Flies
Wrong. This trick to combat them is super easy–and it will make your kitchen smell great. … Why it works: Think of lemons as a fruit fly’s happy place. You‘ll lure them in, then kill them with the heat.
How do you make homemade fruit fly spray?
Fruit Fly Spray
To start, add 2 ounces of hot water to a small spray bottle. While the water is still hot, add 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil ($8, CVS) to the spray bottle. Spray this water and lemongrass oil mixture on fruit flies as you see them (look around windowsills or on kitchen counters).
How do you get rid of fruit flies overnight?
You can pour boiling water into them or tape a clear plastic food storage bag over the top and leave in place overnight. Adult fruit flies will try to leave the drain, and you’ll find them in the bag in the morning.
How do you get rid of fruit flies once and for all?
Follow these 5 simple steps to rid your home of fruit flies, once and for all.
- Wipe down surfaces that are potential breeding grounds. Wipe down all cabinet surfaces thoroughly. …
- Clean the drains in your kitchen. …
- Set traps. …
- Monitor traps and drains. …
- Keep the drains clean and set traps.
Why do I have fruit flies all of a sudden?
Fruit flies move into kitchens, bathrooms, and basements if they sense a food source. Overripe fruit on the counter or any fermenting matter in drains, mops, and trash bins appeals to them. Unsuspecting homeowners may also bring these pests inside on garden crops.
What do fruit flies hate?
Fruit flies can’t stand the smell of basil, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemongrass, lavender and clove. If you’ve had a fruit fly problem in the past, try placing these fragrant herbs in muslin sacks or tea bags and hanging them around the house. You could also buy them in essential oil form and use them in a diffuser.